ESS module refactor

Hi guys!

I use R for my work, and I used RStudio Server, but for internal policies the access was closed. Trying ESS in doom the experience was a little rough. I installed spacemacs with the ESS layer and it was much smoother.

This post is to start a discussion about a refactor for the ESS module to improve the experience for the final user.

Note: I have all the motivation, but not all the lisp skills, to do this massive task. Of course, I offer my help with the refactor and co-maintain the module.

Note 2: I have started a branch in my doomā€™s fork to start playing around with the configuration. Please feel free to contribute as much as you want.

Initial ideas

The layout

The R editor de facto is RStudio, so I think that a good start could be to take this layout as the starting point.

Iā€™m not attached to this, of course, but I think that this could be less intimidating to beginners that want to try Emacs as your R editor.

In my config.el I have this naive configuration for it. It needs a lot of work, though.

(set-popup-rule! ā€œ^\\*R.*\\*ā€  :side ā€˜bottom :width 0.5 :quit nil :ttl nil)
(set-popup-rule! ā€œ^\\*R Data View.*\\*ā€ :side ā€˜top :slot 1 :width 0.5 :quit nil :ttl 0)
(set-popup-rule! ā€œ^\\*R dired\\*ā€ :side ā€˜right :slot -1 :width 0.33 :quit nil :ttl 0)
(set-popup-rule! ā€œ^\\*help\\[R\\]ā€  :side ā€˜right :slot 1 :width 0.33 :quit nil :ttl 0))

The Buffersā€™ behavior

This is tricky because Emacs allows the user to have total freedom here.

In the current state of the module, if you open the *R* process and press ESC or q, it kills the buffer and, of course, the process (all the loaded data is lost).

The options here help with this problem

(set-popup-rule! ā€œ^\\*R.*\\*ā€  :side ā€˜bottom :width 0.5 :quit nil :ttl nil)

Also, I have those for the same problem.

(map! :after ess-help
      :map ess-help-mode-map
      :n ā€œqā€ nil
      :n ā€œESCā€ nil)

(map! :after ess-rdired
      :map ess-rdired-mode-map
      :n ā€œqā€ nil
      :n ā€œESCā€ nil)

Another idea is to use something like zoom for putting emphasis on the code, the *R* process, the environmental variables, etc.

Performance

Iā€™m lost here, but it would be great to see if there are some configurations to do for lsp-mode and eglot.

Also, there is no configuration by default for lsp-mode over TRAMP. Itā€™s just to put this in some place:

(lsp-register-client
  (make-lsp-client
   :new-connection
   (lsp-stdio-connection '("R" "--slave" "-e" "languageserver::run()"))
   :major-modes '(ess-r-mode inferior-ess-r-mode)
   :remote? t
   :server-id 'lsp-R-remote))

Speaking of TRAMP, I donā€™t know what kind of improvements we could do to reduce the latency when the user interacts with the *R* process.

More ideas

Final

This is will be my first big project for doom. All the feedback and help is very welcome.

Thanks.

8 Likes

Excellent idea and initiative, Iā€™m not using R but ideas emerging here could also be beneficial for other scientist or data driven workflows.

I note that you mentioned quarto which I found excellent and a serious outsider for org-mode even if the latter is more powerful. Pandoc integration in quarto is really excellent.

Ideas may also be taken from vscode-r

Reviewing the vscode-r project I found some interesting ideas to explore. Iā€™ll add them to the main post.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Personally I dont think these should be defaults. They can be very good documentation extras, however, and we can facilitate a level of ā€œrstudio-like-emulationā€ with a new package.

That sounds awesome. Could you please expand a little further how to implement this idea?

My first thought is this rstudio-mode package should be a configuration meta-package of other ones, or am I wrong?

I created a new doomā€™s fork to start the contributions there.

@mklsls I see youā€™re still working on this, which is great to see :slight_smile:. Henrik has had some awful luck recently with a prolonged internet outage in the middle of a big rework, then moving country. However, in a few months I think a PR could be well received.

Regarding the rstudio like layout being optional, we can just put that behind a module flag (e.g. ess +panelayout or similar).

Thanks @tecosaur for the update. Yes, Iā€™m aware about the Henrikā€™s journey, Iā€™m sure he will rise victorious. For me, there isnā€™t any rush about it.

With respect to the RStudio layout, your flag idea sounds awesome.

For the moment, I havenā€™t figured out (specifically, I donā€™t know) how to arrange properly the windows in Emacs. I did a couple of tweaks using set-popup-rule! for some buffers, but this is all. For the moment, I ran out of ideas. :confused:

I recall a System Crafters video about how to handle windows and buffers. Iā€™ll rewatch to see how to start this part.

Of course, any suggestion is always well received.

Best.

1 Like

@mklsls Thank you for putting effort into this! A feature I have been missing has been code folding. RStudio provides folding not only for functions, but also for section headers - ie

# My section ------
my_fn("x")

# Folds to next section
# |
# |
# v

# My section 2 --------

Unfortunately I have no idea how this would be replicated using ts-fold, but something tells me it must be possible.

Really great work, thank you again!

Hi @kai. This weekend Iā€™ll have to rebase the ess-refactor because Henrik did some bumps in :lang ess.

I donā€™t have any experience with ts-fold (or Elisp in general) but I can try to see what happens.

Best.

1 Like

Reviewing a little, I found that the structure for these blocks are defined here. Basically you need at least four dashes (-), equal sign (=) or pound signs (#) after your comment.

Something like this

# Heading ---------------------------------
# Heading =================================
# Heading ############################# 

In ts-fold, the fold is only defined for braces (see ts-fold/ts-fold-parsers.el at 9d9e0c5cf7b5397e06571bb6bf497598dc8796a8 Ā· emacs-tree-sitter/ts-fold Ā· GitHub)

And tree-sitter only has defined nodes for regular comments (lines starting with #).

I was reading this section in ts-fold (GitHub - emacs-tree-sitter/ts-fold: Code-folding using tree-sitter), but I still donā€™t know how to add the new blocks. I need to play a little more with tree-sitter to see how it works.

Any idea to implement this is welcome.

Best.

@mklsls You may be interested to know that Atomic Windows (and atomic window layouts) may provide the necessary facility to emulate the columns of RStudio.

Hi @bryce-carson. I did a draft of the layout function in this discord message (Discord)

Basically, the layout is more or less like this

The WIP function is

(defun my-rstudio-layout2 () ""
       (interactive)
       (let ((ess-startup-directory 'default-directory)
             (ess-ask-for-ess-directory nil))
         (ess-switch-to-ESS t)
         (hide-mode-line-mode)
         (ess-eval-linewise "dummy<<-NULL\n")
         (let ((browse-url-browser-function 'xwidget-webkit-browse-url))
           (ess-eval-linewise (concat "source(\"" doom-emacs-dir "modules/lang/ess/helpers.R\")\n"))
           (ess-eval-linewise ".start_hgd()" t t t t 0.1 0.1)
           (xwidget-webkit-browse-url (replace-regexp-in-string "\"" "" (ess-string-command "dput(.server_hgd)\n")))
           (hide-mode-line-mode))
         (ess-switch-to-ESS t)
         (ess-rdired)
         (hide-mode-line-mode)
         (ess-help "help")
         (hide-mode-line-mode)
         (let* ((source-buf (car (match-buffers '(and (derived-mode . ess-mode) "\\.[Rr]$"))))
                (plot-buf (car (match-buffers '(and (derived-mode . xwidget-webkit-mode) "R\\ Plot\\*$"))))
                (repl-buf (ess-get-current-process-buffer))
                (rdired-buf (get-buffer ess-rdired-buffer))
                (help-buf (car (ess-help-get-local-help-buffers))))
           (if source-buf
               (progn
                 (pop-to-buffer source-buf)
                 (condition-case nil (delete-other-windows) (error t))
                 (display-buffer-in-atom-window
                  repl-buf
                  `((window        . ,(get-buffer-window source-buf))
                    (side          . below)
                    (window-height . 0.5)
                    ;; (window-width  . 0.5)
                    ;; (window-height . ,#'fit-window-to-buffer)
                    (dedicated     . t)))
                  rdired-buf
                  `((window        . ,(get-buffer-window source-buf))
                    (side          . right)
                    (window-width  . 0.5)
                    (window-height . 0.5)
                    ;; (window-width  . ,(lambda (win)
                    ;;                     (fit-window-to-buffer win
                    ;;                                           nil nil
                    ;;                                           (floor (frame-width) 3)
                    ;;                                           40)))
                    (dedicated     . t)))
                  plot-buf
                  `((window        . ,(get-buffer-window repl-buf))
                    (side          . right)
                    ;; (window-width  . ,(lambda (win)
                    ;;                     (fit-window-to-buffer win
                    ;;                                           nil nil
                    ;;                                           (floor (frame-width) 3)
                    ;;                                           40))))
                    ))

nil)))))

I plan to install this function into the feature branch and see if there are any comments or improvements.