Mu4e spell checker: identify and configure

Hi,

I’d like to understand

1. which spell checker is automatically run when I compose an email with mu4e and
  2. if I can configure a command to switch spell checking to a different language. Currently it seems to be configured to autosuggests English.

The :checkers section of my init.el:

:checkers
       syntax              ; tasing you for every semicolon you forget
       ;;(spell +flyspell) ; tasing you for misspelling mispelling
       ;;grammar           ; tasing grammar mistake every you make

My full doom config is here.

The only hint that something is happening is the message "Starting "look" process... in the modeline at every keystroke in a new email buffer, which unfortunately is not enough for me to figure out this. What is this “look” process?

I’m sure I could answer my own question, if only I knew where to search. Any pointers are appreciated.

thanks

System information

Loading data dump...

Some pointers: look at the major mode composing a message in mu4e uses, look at enabled minor modes, look for relavant-looking functions/variables with spell in the name (with C-hf / C-hv).

thanks @tecosaur for the tip, that pointed me more in less in the right direction.

So, it turns out that when composing an email, ispell runs the command look (source code) at every keystroke and greps through a wordlist.

This wordlist used can be customized at the operating system level but not in any ispell Emacs variables, I’m afraid.

The correct thing to do should be M-x ispell-change-dictionary (after installing the relevant aspell-<lang> package) but it’s ineffective for some reason, I don’t even have any ispell minor mode running when composing an email.

The easiest thing to do is to configure the default look wordlist at the OS level (on Debian: sudo select-default-wordlist).

Basically it’s another Emacs rabbit hole, I came here to write this for my future reference.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.