Info menu item is gone?!

In vanilla emacs you can press C-h i m and search for helpful nodes.

This is the most important function - it should be on the first page of the fucking README

Where is it? Why was it taken away?

This is madness

SPC h i J

M-x where-is and M-x describe-key-briefly are useful tools

1 Like

Thank you, I wish I knew about SPC h i J sooner. It seems that on both Ubuntu and EndeavourOS emacs comes without info pages though:

user-error: Info file ‘org’ does not exist; consider installing it

Do you know by any chance if they should be installed by the system package manager or by doom?

They should be installed by Doom. What is the value of Info-directory-list?

Info-directory-list is:

("/home/user/.config/emacs/.local/straight/build-29.1/use-package/" 
"/home/user/.config/emacs/.local/straight/build-29.1/org-gtd/" 
"/home/user/.config/emacs/.local/straight/build-29.1/org-edna/" 
"/home/user/.config/emacs/.local/straight/build-29.1/org-ql/" 
"/home/user/.config/emacs/.local/straight/build-29.1/org-super-agenda/" 
)

I’ve truncated this list - you are right that entries included in this variable do work, for example SPC h i J and use-package does take you correctly to use-package’s Info page. But org-mode for example results in the above error. Is it expected for this list to be incomplete?

It should have an entry for org/. Can you try rm -rf ~/.config/emacs/.local/straight/repos/org && doom sync?

rm -rf ~/.config/emacs/.local/straight/repos/org && doom sync

I’ve run it, but sadly it still gives the same error. /home/user1/.config/emacs/.local/straight/build-29.1/org/ entry in the Info-directory-list variable (it was there before), but it doesn’t seem to include the info pages.

It seems that for some reason info pages are incomplete - I imagine that there should be many more entries in the Top directory:

That’s very strange. I could give you various other commands to run, but since I can’t reproduce, it would end up being a lot of back and forth stabbing in the dark. I would just try a full reinstall of Doom. Delete all the cache files it produces before installing. If you still don’t get the Org manual on a fresh install, something is very wrong.

Sorry, I know that’s not an ideal solution. Doom v3 will change where these files are stored and probably some of the mechanisms producing them, but in the meantime it’s hard for me to pin this down.

Before the full reinstall you could try doom clean && doom sync as well I guess. Also, just to be safe, make sure Emacs is closed while running doom commands.

No worries, whatever caused it hopefully will get fixed automatically in the next version then. It may be something to do with my doom config, because running it in sandbox seems to pick them up:

Sadly, I don’t know how to run describe-variable Info-directory-list in vanilla emacs.

Just in case I’ve tried pkill emacs and rm -rf ~/.config/emacs/.local/straight/repos/org && doom clean && doom sync -u again, but to no avail.

M-x is as close as you can get to universal. That will get you any function, including describe-variable, but especially where-is.

Yeah, you could try to bisect by commenting out your whole config and slowly uncommenting blocks.

1 Like

thanks, interestingly Info-directory-list is nil in doom + modules sandbox and Info pages work there - Org Mode and many more pages show up. I will go drill into configs then.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.