Incorrect (?) behavior of :ui unicode

What happened?

Here’s my font configuration from the config.el

(setq doom-font (font-spec :family "IBM Plex Mono" :size 10.0 :weight 'normal)
      doom-unicode-font (font-spec :family "DejaVu Sans Mono" :size 10.0 :weight 'normal)
      doom-variable-pitch-font (font-spec :family "IBM Plex Sans" :size 10.0 :weight 'normal))

The font IBM Plex Mono doesn’t have full unicode coverage, but provides a good chunk of symbols I need most of the time.

If I don’t have :ui unicode set, emacs uses IBM Plex Mono only for ASCII, but for everything else, even if main font provides the glyphs, doom-unicode-font is used. This matches the documented behavior.

However, if I have :ui unicode enabled, emacs uses IBM Plex Mono when it can, but for missing glyphs (place of interest \u2318) it falls back to this:

position: 4726 of 5564 (85%), column: 42
            character: ⌘ (displayed as ⌘) (codepoint 8984, #o21430, #x2318)
              charset: unicode-bmp (Unicode Basic Multilingual Plane (U+0000..U+FFFF))
code point in charset: 0x2318
               script: symbol
               syntax: _ 	which means: symbol
             category: .:Base, j:Japanese
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET 2318" or "C-x 8 RET PLACE OF INTEREST SIGN"
          buffer code: #xE2 #x8C #x98
            file code: #xE2 #x8C #x98 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
              display: by this font (glyph code):
    ftcrhb:-unknown-file-icons-normal-normal-normal-*-18-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#x30)

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: PLACE OF INTEREST SIGN
  old-name: COMMAND KEY
  general-category: So (Symbol, Other)
  decomposition: (8984) ('⌘')

There is an overlay here:
 From 4684 to 4756
  face                 hl-line
  priority             -50
  window               nil

There are text properties here:
  face                 font-lock-string-face
  fontified            t

Expected behavior

I expect emacs to use doom-unicode-font for missing glyphs when :ui unicode is set

Notes on standalone mode

When emacs is configured for :ui unicode, but executed without daemon, doom-unicode-font will be used from the start until doom/reload-fonts is called. Then the behavior will be as described above.

Is there a way to use main font for everything it provides, but fallback to unicode only for missing glyphs?

Since you asked this question, all-the-icons (the provider of the file-icons font was replaced with nerd-icons. What happens if you try now? If you still have issues, can you try Fix font fallbacks by hpfr · Pull Request #7448 · doomemacs/doomemacs · GitHub?

This topic was automatically closed after 360 days. New replies are no longer allowed.