Eshell eshell-did-you-mean not working

What happened?

eshell-did-you-mean doesn’t seem to work. Any invalid command just returns Wrong type argument: sequencep, 771

I only noticed something odd was happening because I was getting an error when I reloaded my config with space h r r, but only if I had previously opened eshell with space o e.

Running emacs with --debug-init traced the error to the eshell-did-you-mean--edit-distance being passed 771 as s2

If I comment the eshell-did-you-mean section out of the eshell config.el, I no longer get an error on reloading my config.

What did you expect to happen?

For instance I expected entering catt into eshell would return did you mean cat

Steps to reproduce

1. open doom
  2. open eshell with space o e
  3. type catt and hit enter

System information

Loading data dump...
2 Likes

Did you ever manage to fix this? I’m having the same issue, same error message when I enter an invalid command in eshell (doesn’t matter how I open it though, with M-x eshell or SPC-o-e or M-x project-eshell it’s all the same).

I hadn’t seen any config error messages, but I tried SPC-h-r-r after opening eshell with SPC-o-e like you said, and lo and behold:

Error in a Doom module: /home/charriso/.config/emacs/modules/term/eshell/config.el, (wrong-type-argument sequencep 771)

I notice you’re also on Mint. For additional context, this wasn’t happening to me at all until I upgraded from Emacs 27 to 28.1 (native comp). It’s not super critical so I’m not gonna spend any more time chasing it down but I thought I’d leave this info here as another data point.

generated  Jul 27, 2023 10:36:52
system     Linux Mint 21.1 Linux 5.15.0-76-generic x86_64 x
emacs      28.1 ~/.config/emacs/
doom       3.0.0-pre PROFILE=_@0 grafted, HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/HEAD
           07fca78 2023-05-30 19:39:04 -0400 ~/.config/doom/
shell      /bin/bash
features   CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
           LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP
           SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB
traits     gui server-running envvar-file
modules    :config use-package :completion (company +childframe) vertico :ui doom
           doom-dashboard hl-todo modeline ophints (popup +defaults) treemacs
           (vc-gutter +pretty) vi-tilde-fringe workspaces zen :editor (evil
           +everywhere) file-templates fold snippets :emacs dired electric undo vc
           :term eshell vterm :checkers syntax :tools (eval +overlay) lookup magit
           :lang emacs-lisp latex markdown org python sh yaml :config (default
           +bindings +smartparens)
packages   (conda) (format-all) (copilot :recipe (:host github :repo
           zerolfx/copilot.el :files (*.el dist)))

Sorry for the late reply! I’m mainly using vterm now, and thought it had resolved on a reinstall I did, but it is in fact still broken for me.

This topic was automatically closed after 360 days. New replies are no longer allowed.