Error :":completion vertico ! The installed ripgrep binary was not built with support for PCRE lookaheads."

Hi everyone,

What happened?

I’m using Linux Mint 21.1 . I installed Doom Emacs through the cli. I installed Emacs 27.1 and I keep getting the same error message below while running “doom doctor” after doom emacs installation.

I keep getting the error :“:completion vertico ! The installed ripgrep binary was not built with support for PCRE lookaheads.”

doom sync and doom env doesn’t solve the issue.

(I tried with Emacs 28.2. and Emacs 28.1 and I got the same error).

ripgrep Version installed: 13.0.0-2ubuntu0.1

Does anyome know how to remove that error?

What did you expect to happen?

Not having the warning “! The installed ripgrep binary was not built with support for PCRE lookaheads.”

Steps to reproduce

1. git clone --depth 1 GitHub - doomemacs/doomemacs: An Emacs framework for the stubborn martian hacker ~/.config/emacs ~/.config/emacs/bin/doom install
  2. doom doctor
  3. error occured

System information

Loading data dump...

That’s an error of the distro you are using.

I don’t think there’s a proper solution at the Elisp level. You can just ignore the warning but expect problems when that regex feature is used.

IMO, the best solution would be installing ripgrep from a different package manager such as Guix, Nix, or build it yourself.

The thing is if I uninstall the ripgrep package and install manually the one on GitHub - BurntSushi/ripgrep: ripgrep recursively searches directories for a regex pattern while respecting your gitignore by doing

$ curl -LO https://github.com/BurntSushi/ripgrep/releases/download/13.0.0/ripgrep_13.0.0_amd64.deb

$ sudo dpkg -i ripgrep_13.0.0_amd64.deb

then the error message is gone.

But after I started Emacs a few times, the error message is back …

I tried this shell script (what the elisp version does) in a Debian container and saw that in ran just fine:

echo xaxbx | rg -P '^(?=.*b)(?=.*a)'

Can you verify the path again, within Emacs: (executable-find "rg") and see if that absolute executable can run the above shell command?

There is the output

sudo apt install ripgrep
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
ripgrep is already the newest version (13.0.0-2ubuntu0.1).
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 2 not to upgrade.

echo xaxbx | rg -P '^(?=.*b)(?=.*a)'
PCRE2 is not available in this build of ripgrep

That’s indeed Ubuntu’s fault, installing manually as you said solves the problem for me. Maybe there’s some issues with your PATH.

Thank you for your help, highly appreciated.

1 Like