Doom doctor (for vertico) complains about a non-PCRE grep even when PCRE rg is present

What happened?

New Doom install (macOS Ventura, emacs-mac port), ripgrep installed through homebrew.

Ran doom doctor, got:

> :completion vertico
      ! The installed grep binary was not built with support for PCRE lookaheads

What did you expect to happen?

Initially I was confused - my homebrew-provided rg has PCRE lookahead support. However, looking at modules/completion/vertico/doctor.el, there are doctor checks for both grep and rg, and only the grep check fails (because macOS’s system grep is now very old).

So, my questions is: if rg is present, does it matter that grep doesn’t support lookahead?

If it doesn’t matter, then either the doctor tests could be slightly refactored to reflect this, or a note could be made in the docs to reassure OCD folks like me who are determined to get a clean bill of health from doom doctor.

If it does matter then I’ll have to install a newer/better grep.

Steps to reproduce

From a new install (macOS Ventura)

1. doom install
  2. set init.el to use vertico module
  3. doom sync && doom doctor

System information

Loading data dump...

Not sure if you found a solution for this since Aug 23rd, but the same error occurs even if you install a newer/better grep from homebrew - I’ve tried that, and still the same happens. The homebrew installs in /usr/local/Cellar/grep/ver/bin, but for reasons I’ve been unable to decipher, doom doctor (and vertico) still calls on the built in grep…

I’m still not sure if my non-compliant grep is a problem, but it’s not a problem in practice because my compliant rg is the one being used.

Re: doom not picking up the brew-installed grep, I guess that’s a $PATH issue? You can see your path in .emacs.d/.local/env.

A bit late but on macOS it seems brew installs grep as ggrep and it has lookahead support. However I don’t know how to make Doom call into that command instead of calling to grep which I guess is the system grep