Doom CLI fails with "(file-missing "Cannot open load file" "No such file or directory" "pkg-info")"

What happened?

doom cli commands such as up, sync, install, --help, etc. fails while unable to find pkg-info

What did you expect to happen?

Those commands should run without the error.

Steps to reproduce

1. doom --force up from c44bc81a05f3758ceaa28921dd9c830b9c571e61 to 4efdf51ca56820696bf8b237c3725d5fb1eeb229
  2. (doom-cli--straight-recommended-option-p "In repository \"consult-dash\", remote \"origin\" has URL\n \"https://codeberg.org/ravi/consult-dash.git\"\nbut recipe specifies a UR... (the log file was gone). I deleted ~/.config/emacs/.local/straight/repos/consult-dash.
  3. doom up again => Message: Error with packages Details: ("debbugs" (file-missing "Cannot open load file" "No such file or directory" "pkg-info"))

System information

Loading data dump...

Other info

I have deleted pkg-info's repos and build-29.0.50 directory, but doom sync/install can’t install it again.

Sometimes it’s another package to be reported with the file-missing error such as org-ref.

Workaround (this works for me for unknown reasons):

• Manually add pkg-info to $DOOMDIR/packages.el
  • doom sync
  • Optionally remove the added line from packages.el and doom sync/up

Please produce a backtrace from the error, as I cannot reproduce it.

Side-note: I highly recommend not using Emacs 29, and downgrading to 28, as 29 is in a very unstable period – which is why Doom does not officially support it yet.

As a comment on emacs 29 - or if you really want it (presumably for pgtk), stick to a commit that seems to work and don’t change it.

1 Like

My .error & .log files (couldn’t upload in this comment because the error file is 703K) cli.doom.220907113750.40645.error.el · GitHub.

to reproduce, I did a doom install, then enabled notmuch mail reader and a doom sync.

> Synchronizing "default" profile...
  > Regenerating envvars file
    âś“ Generated ~/.config/emacs/.local/env
  > Installing packages...
    > Updating recipe repos...
    > Cloning consult-notmuch...csmirror-mirror...
    - Checked out consult-notmuch: 4138855cddee0ef126cff6a5fc5ca9c49fd2682d
    > Building consult-notmuch...
    - Checked out compat: cc1924fd8b3f9b75b26bf93f084ea938c06f9615
    > Building consult-notmuch > Building compat...
    x There was an unexpected runtime error
      Details: ("consult-notmuch" (file-missing "Cannot open load file" "No such file or directory" "dash"))
      Backtrace:
        (signal doom-package-error ("consult-notmuch" (file-missing "Cannot open load file" "No such file or directory" "dash")))
        (condition-case e (let ((straight-use-package-pre-build-functions (cons #'(lambda (pkg &rest _) (let* ((commit (and t (cdr (assoc pkg pinned))))) (if commit (doo...
        (progn (if (file-directory-p (straight--repos-dir local-repo)) nil (doom-packages--cli-recipes-update)) (condition-case e (let ((straight-use-package-pre-build-f...
        (let* ((--cl-rest-- (append (list :recipe recipe) recipe)) (recipe (car (cdr (plist-member --cl-rest-- ':recipe)))) (package (car (cdr (plist-member --cl-rest-- ...
        (cl-destructuring-bind (&key recipe package type local-repo &allow-other-keys) (append (list :recipe recipe) recipe) (if (file-directory-p (straight--repos-dir l...
        (straight--with-plist (append (list :recipe recipe) recipe) (recipe package type local-repo) (if (file-directory-p (straight--repos-dir local-repo)) nil (doom-pa...
        (let ((recipe (car --dolist-tail--))) (straight--with-plist (append (list :recipe recipe) recipe) (recipe package type local-repo) (if (file-directory-p (straigh...
        (while --dolist-tail-- (let ((recipe (car --dolist-tail--))) (straight--with-plist (append (list :recipe recipe) recipe) (recipe package type local-repo) (if (fi...
        (let ((--dolist-tail-- recipes)) (while --dolist-tail-- (let ((recipe (car --dolist-tail--))) (straight--with-plist (append (list :recipe recipe) recipe) (recipe...
        (let* ((recipes (doom-package-recipe-list)) (built nil) (straight-use-package-pre-build-functions (cons #'(lambda (pkg &rest _) (setq built (if (member pkg built...
        (and t (let* ((recipes (doom-package-recipe-list)) (built nil) (straight-use-package-pre-build-functions (cons #'(lambda (pkg &rest _) (setq built (if (member pk...
        (let* ((built (and t (let* ((recipes (doom-package-recipe-list)) (built nil) (straight-use-package-pre-build-functions (cons #'(lambda (pkg &rest _) (setq built ...
      ! Wrote extended backtrace to ~/.config/emacs/.local/logs/cli.doom.220907081242.3911280.error
    ! Script was abruptly aborted, leaving Doom in an incomplete state!
    - Run 'doom sync' to repair it.

Can you try putting (package! dash) in packages.el (maybe after rm -rf ~/.config/emacs/.local/straight/*/dash) and running doom sync again?

The only thing that works is if I rm -rf straight. do a doom sync. then it all works. running a doom sync after that gives errors on dash or f being missing.

1 Like

It looks like an issue with some transitive dependencies. This is what I did: for every single error message, I added the package name to packages.el. For me, the first one was about dash.el, so I’ve added (package! dash), then I ran doom sync again, this time it complained about f, I’ve added (package! f), repeated, and so on.

2 Likes

I’m also on emacs 29 and seeing this on the latest doom. Going back to doom commit c44bc81a05f3758ceaa28921dd9c830b9c571e61 makes things work again.

I have not done bi-secting, so it’s entirely sure that things are still working with some of the later commits, but this one is definitely OK.

Edit: of course it doesn’t do much to help troubleshoot the breakage in the recent changes, but at least it confirms that it’s due to a recent doom change.

By adding the following to my packages.el I was ok.

(package! f)
(package! dash)
(package! pkg-info)
(package! epl)

As it turns out, this issue has to do with a breaking change to loaddefs upstream, in Emacs 29, and the fact that straight.el uses it if it is available. I’ve monkey patched the problem in:

So update Doom and the issue should be resolved.

That said, you may need to update Doom manually to get past this error, so here is how to do so:

$ cd ~/.emacs.d
$ git pull
$ doom sync -u
1 Like

I think that may be only a partial solution to the loaddefs issue:

Sep 11 21:48:28 midge emacs/todo[203589]: WARNING: No org-loaddefs.el file could be found from where org.el is loaded.
Sep 11 21:48:31 midge emacs/todo[203589]: You need to run "make" or "make autoloads" from Org lisp directory
Sep 11 21:48:36 midge emacs/todo[203589]: Starting Emacs daemon.
Sep 11 21:48:36 midge systemd[3536]: Started Emacs - todo.
Sep 11 21:48:37 midge emacs/todo[203589]: Doom loaded 352 packages across 69 modules in 13.591s
Sep 11 21:48:44 midge emacs/todo[203589]: error in process sentinel: Symbol’s function definition is void: org-element--cache-active-p

Emacs will keep spamming the last line.

I’d like to point out that on latest master (emacs 29 and doom), there is still an issue with org and loaddefs:

❯ doom sync              
> Synchronizing "default" profile...
  > Installing packages...          
    - Checked out org: 00adad9357b9123a7b11ecf12c148a5196debcb7
    > Building org...                 
    âś“ Installed 1 packages                         
  > (Re)building packages...                                                                             
    - No packages need rebuilding
  > Purging orphaned packages (for the emperor)...
    - No builds to purge    
    - Skipping elpa packages
    - Skipping repos                                                                                     
    - Skipping regrafting            
    - Skipping native bytecode
  > (Re)building profile in /home/peter/.cache/doom/etc/@/...
    > Deleting old init files...
    > Generating 4 init files...

Package autoload is deprecated
    > Byte-compiling ~/.cache/doom/etc/@init.29.el...

WARNING: No org-loaddefs.el file could be found from where org.el is loaded.
      You need to run "make" or "make autoloads" from Org lisp directory
    âś“ Built init.29.elc 
  - Restart Emacs or use 'M-x doom/reload' for changes to take effect
âś“ Finished in 21.47991s

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.