Do not PR

Listed below are all the changes that we will not accept, if submitted as part of a pull request. They are grouped by project and include an explanation. This list will change often, so please check it often.

:warning: If you believe your change is an exception, please discuss it with me on our Discord (in the #development channel) or here (in the #dev category).

All projects

Where Types of changes Reason Since
LICENSE Any changes [1] 2022-02-16T23:00:00Z
**/* Fewer than 3 trivial corrections per PR. This includes minor spelling, grammar, or syntax errors in docs, comments, or output messages that have no user-facing effect [2] 2022-03-18T23:00:00Z

doomemacs/doomemacs

docs/*.org Any changes [3] 2021-11-29T05:00:00Z
README.md Any changes [4] 2022-10-28T04:00:00Z

doomemacs/modules

:warning: This project does not exist yet.

:config default Feature-gating keybinds [5] 2019-04-07T22:00:00Z
:lang org Bumping gnuplot [6] 2022-02-02T23:00:00Z

doomemacs/contrib-modules

:warning: This project does not exist yet.

doomemacs/themes

There is nothing in this project’s do-not-PR list at this time.

doomemacs/snippets

There is nothing in this project’s do-not-PR list at this time.

1. Important changes, such as those to the license of the project, should be discussed beforehand and ultimately enacted by me, not anyone else. ↩︎

2. Trivial PRs are deceptively high-effort to process. Like any other, they must be triaged and tagged, their commits checks against our conventions, and any conflicts with work elsewhere must be ruled out.

But the real challenge is that these trivial PRs rarely arrive merge-ready, and people get (understandably) frustrated with requests to fix them. These PRs are also a honey pot for less experienced devs, who’ll need extra guidance to make those corrections.

So please refrain from submitting them, with these few exceptions:

• The mistake can cause technical errors/confusion (e.g. an ambiguous misspelling of a package, function, or shell command),
    • The original passage is undecipherable without the correction,
    • Or there are three or more distinct corrections in your PR.

Otherwise, leave a Github comment on the responsible commit or let us know on Discord. ↩︎

3. Our primary documentation is currently undergoing a hefty rewrite. ↩︎

4. The readme will be rewritten once 3.0 is released, since the project will see a large number of important changes, so I won’t be accepting PRs to this file for the time being. ↩︎

5. That is to say, I won’t accept PRs that wrap keybinds in (:when (modulep! ...) ...) checks. I explain why in #1312#issuecomment-480650364. ↩︎

6. The latest commit of gnuplot throws a recursive require error when lazy-loaded (see #6080). ↩︎

3 Likes
  • Reformatted list into tables and footnotes.
  • Added modules/**/* to doomemacs/doomemacs DNP list.
  • Moved module DNPs from doomemacs/doomemacs to doomemacs/modules.
  • Added DNP list for doomemacs/contrib-modules project.
  • Closed this thread so I can use its reply section for these changelogs.
  • Added README.md to doomemacs/doomemacs DNP list, because it will be rewritten for 3.0.

Though modules/**/* was already in our DNP list, I allowed module PRs through December-March while I was busy moving to Canada. I’m caught up now, so the DNP is back in effect. TL;DR: Please do not PR changes to our modules until I finished moving modules to their own repo.

1 Like