Disabling eager package loading in daemon

I’ve found that running Emacs as a daemon results in significantly higher startup times than running it as a new instance.

After reading through issues, it seems that Doom used to provide a way to disable eager package loading when launching a daemon instance. See this issue in particular. Forgive me if this is an error in my configuration, but the doom-incremental-load-immediately variable does not exist on my machine; this issue was from 3 years ago, so I suspect things have changed since then. I tried to set doom-incremental-first-idle-timer to 2.0 from 0, but this was not enough to get the same startup time.

I forked the Doom repository and made some small changes (including the aforementioned doom-incremental-first-idle-timer change) in my install, which seem to have the desired effect on startup time. Here’s the commit I made: perf: add *doom-daemon-load-eagerly option · srithon/doomemacs@93f8511 · GitHub.

With this change, daemon startup acts more like regular startup. However, is there a better (preferably built into Doom) way to do this? It seems that hlissner feels that in the daemon’s main use case, all packages should be loaded up-front, so it seems plausible that this functionality no longer exists in current Doom. The reason I want faster startup time is because I often restart my daemon after making changes to my config, and would like it to take as little time as possible.

System information

Loading data dump...

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.